Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Proverbs 31

I've debated for some time about posting this, really for no legitimate reason, but after receiving an email devotional today I thought it was a good time. Something I truly desire and aspire for in this life is to be the kind of woman described in Proverbs 31:10-31. It is such a powerful passage. I know I could get really bogged down with the daily failings I seem to struggle with but I still yearn to be this woman ~Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her, vs28.
God knows my struggles and thankfully He also knows my heart and he cares about my desires. I have the belief that if you desire something godly for your life, how can God refuse it to you? He may not give it without struggles or at the time you feel necessary, but it will all be in the way I need it. I know this is cliched but the older I get the more I realize my time on this Earth is short and I only get one life in which to make the most. This poem was included in the devotional and it really spoke to me...
My hands were busy through the day.
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me to,
I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes.
I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book
And asked me please to share your fun,
I'd say, "A little later son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
For life is short, the years rush past.
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side,
His precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play.
No good-night kisses, no prayers to hear,
That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands once busy now are still
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.
Author Unknown


If you're not familiar with Proverbs 31, I strongly encourage you to read it. Also, HERE is the link to the devotional that encouraged this post.

2 Shout Outs:

Becky said...

I loved the devotional and the poem. Thanks so much for sending it to me. Love ya Sis!

Abbie's Daddy said...

Excellent post, that poem was very good. I want to remember it often!