Monday, September 14, 2009

The Gargoyle


I finished reading The Gargoyle, a New York Times Bestseller, this past weekend. This is probably the most raw book I've read so far, but at the same time I was fascinated at the Christianity intertwined throughout. Part of it made me aware how much I actually am protected from a lot of the shocking realities of this world. I liked this book and am glad I read it but it is definitely different from anything I have ever read (I think I said the same thing about The Time Travelers Wife). This was the first novel written by Andrew Davidson. What I found to be most intriguing about this book is that it's narrated by the main character whose name is NEVER revealed. For some that might be troubling but I found it to fit in with the tone of the rest of the story.

The Gargoyle is the mesmerizing story of one man's descent into a personal hell and his quest for salvation. On a dark road in the middle of the night, a car plunges into a ravine. The driver survives the crash, but he is confined to the burn ward suffering horrible injuries. There, he does nothing more than plot the suicide he will commit when released. Everything changes when Marianne Engel, a possibly schizophrenic sculptress of grotesques, enters his life. She insists they were lovers in medieval Germany, when he was a mercenary and she was a scribe in the monastery of Engelthal. As she spins the story of their past lives together, the man's disbelief falters; soon, even the impossible can no longer be dismissed.

If you're looking for something different but will also keep you reading, this is it! Happy Reading!!!

1 Shout Outs:

Becky said...

Great review! I think I'm gonna have to borrow this one from you on Friday night!